DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Everville: The First Pillar

Everville: The First Pillar - Roy Huff A copy of this book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book wasn't really for me. I tried to get into it, I really did. I just felt like, throughout the book, something was missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It took me a long time to finish it, and I almost gave up numerous times.

With Fantasy books, the world-building can often be confusing or lacking. Although the details were very good regarding the explanation of the other worlds (Everville and Earth), I felt very confused throughout. I think my confision stemmed from the names. The different names were very strange and easily confusing. For example, the Them live in the Other. A typical sentence that would cause me a great deal of stress is this:

" ..the influence of both Everville and The Other In Between would be felt in the earthly realm. [..] It would enhance or inhibit Them, which would serve to further weaken or strengthen the influence of The Other In Between in the Earthly realm." (loc 1310)

I did like the main character and his friends, but I felt there was something missing there too. I can't put my finger on it. I just didn't fully connect with them, with any of the characters actually. I found myself not caring whether he was successful in saving Everville or not.

Some may like this book or have a different experience than I did, but it wasn't for me. If you're not a huge fan of fantasy, I'd skip this. Even fans of fantasy may be split with this one. I just had a really hard time liking or understanding it.