DiamondReads

Resonance (Dissonance)
Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

The Wrong Girl: Book 1 of the 1st Freak House Trilogy (Volume 1)

The Wrong Girl: Book 1 of the 1st Freak House Trilogy (Volume 1) - C.J. Archer Thank you to the author for providing me a copy to review.

I had a lot of trouble with this book. A supernatural Gothic novel set in England had me very interested. Unfortunately, I wasn't too captivated from the start. Hannah and her friend Violet Wade were kept locked in an attic their entire lives. Hannah has narcolepsy and her friend Violet can start fires with her mind. Hannah is soon kidnapped and sent to Frakingham House, aka Freak House because of her assumed fire-starting abilities. Trouble is, she's the wrong girl. If she tells them she's the wrong girl, though, her best friend Violet will be taken instead..,Not to mention there's a charmingly handsome fire-starter named Jack who is to be her teacher.

I had a lot of trouble with the way the plot unfolds in the first half of the book. I think that's why it was so hard for me to get through it. I knew the premise of her being "the wrong gir" couldn't last too long, especially because eventually shed have to show her fire starting abilities. It seemed, therefore, kind of silly to me to be reading a story when I knew it would have to come out eventually and it was sort of bland. However, about halfway in this started to get good. Very good. The story picked up pace and became extremely interesting and the mysteries grew. I totally didnt see where the story was going, so I started then to really enjoy reading it.

If I had to rate the first half of the book I would give it 1 star. If I had to rate the second half is give it 4 stars and tell you ill probably read the next book in the series. So, to be fair I'll go in the middle and give it 3 stars.

I'd recommend this book for people who like gothic mysteries with a touch of romance.