DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Super Secret Crisis War! Volume 1

Super Secret Crisis War! Volume 1 - Louise Simonson, Derek Charm I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

What do you get when you take your favorite 90s Nickelodeon cartoon characters and bring them all together for one epic show-down?

No, it's not a Netflix sponsored movie (although, that would be damn great!)--it's the first volume in a graphic novel released by IDW collab w/Cartoon Network, of course.

I immediately saw the cover and was like, "Read NOW." No hesitation, no questions asked. I'm a 90s Nick kid, and if you live in the US and watch Cartoon Network every night after 9pm, you know what I mean too. Our favorite shows that nursed and comforted us in the mornings and after school every day have revisited the screens across the country as part of CN's new '90s are back" thing. I didn't think it'd last as long as it did, but boy am I glad because I am ALL ABOARD THIS SHIP (and have been, for quite awhile). :O

Characters

Heroes:
Samurai Jack
Powerpuff Girls
Ben Tennyson "Ben 10"
Dexter (Dexter's laboratory)
Ed, Ed, and Eddy (not 'heroes' per se, but from the show w/the same name)

Villains:
Aku (Samurai Jack)
Mandark (Dexter's laboratory)
Mojo Jojo (Powerpuff Girls)
Evil Robots

Basically, the story is a wild concoction cooked up to satisfy people like me who love these characters and don't care how much "sense" it makes to have them all together. The "villians" are all together and have some sort of plan to hold the "heroes" hostage and take their powers. Ed, Ed, and Eddy are just in there because of a fluke. Obviously, they get free pretty easily but their robot counterparts are created to learn from them as they fight and things escalate from there.

It's a short graphic novel. While at first I thought it was mostly written for a younger audience, I don't feel that way after reading it. It seemed more like twenty somethings would appreciate it more having seen the shows and followed the storylines. The characters are all explained, but not to the extent that you feel like it's made for people who have no idea who the Powerpuff Girls are, or Dexter from Dexter's Lab.

I felt like it was a fun, light, and really funny read with bright and colorful graphics that stayed true to each show. I recommend it for people who like any of the shows listed above, are fans of Cartoon Network, or just love amalgam stories that don't necessarily follow logic.