DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Madame Bovary

Madame Bovary - Mark Overstall, Malcolm Bowie, Margaret Mauldon, Gustave Flaubert I started this book a year ago. I read it with some friends. One finished it, the other didnt. I wanted to like this book, I really did. I love literature, and it seemed like a great story. I had lots of qualms with this book. First of all, it's ok if the protagonist is villian-like, or we despise her because of her personality-- but she has to be lovable too. In some way, there needs to be redeeming elements that either make us forgive or understand her. This isn't the case for me with Emma. Her snobbery is forgivable, heck-- most of her defects are forgivable...but her role as a mother and her lack of care or mention of her daughter hurt me the most. Her husband works so hard, for her! He Loves her so much, and her response is lukewarm at best. I'm not sure if I read a "spoiler" of the end or what...but when I did I just felt so dejected I couldn't bear finishing it. Of the hundreds of books I've read, I've only left unfinished and given up on...a few. This is one of those. I was halfway through and kept it close to try to convince myself to finish and couldn't.