DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Dr. Frankenstein's Daughters

Dr. Frankenstein's Daughters - Suzanne Weyn This book was provided to me by Netgalley/Scholastic Publishers.

I really enjoyed this book! I was skeptical because of the many mediocre reviews, so I wasn't expecting much. The premise, that Victor Frankenstein had two daughters (twins) Giselle and Ingrid, and tells the story of their lives.
The twins don't know their father or mother and are raised by their grandfather. They come to inherit their fathers castle and meet their Uncle. Who doesn't love a haunted story with a castle?
The entire book is written in diary format. It goes between the diary of Victor Frankenstein (in the beginning), to Giselle and Ingrid Frankenstein. This style of writing actually worked very well in this novel. My only complaint was that there were a few chapters, about 1/3 of the way in, where I felt the twins were each bringing out negative characteristics in each other. Although this established character, I remember getting a bit disturbed by how rushed the character flaws were put into the story, almost by force they were shoved in to create depth.
At about 100 pages in I started to get completely absorbed in the book. It took me awhile to get that far, because I was reading other books. But once I reached that point I finished in a few days! I simply couldn't put the book down!
The ending was good, and I was very surprised by it! I would be surprised if the reader guesses completely what happens at the end. I must say I wish the ending was happier. I know not all books should end happy but I felt that this one could have changed how Ingrid had her happy ending. Perhaps there will be a sequel? I surely hope there is! This was one of my favorite books I've read this year (so far).