DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Champions of Power

Champions of Power - Samuel Odunsi Jr. For the full review see: http://diamondlovestoread.blogspot.com

I’m going to be honest, I think I would’ve grooved with the story way better if I was more into sci-fi as a genre. So I’m rating it with that in mind. That being said, the story was strong but there were things that were problematic. It is written very formally. This didn’t bother me much, it added to the style. As far as the writing I think some of the transitions could have been improved, smoother perhaps. Sometimes I had to back track a few pages to figure out who we were reading about, and which planet we were on! The story also lagged in the middle. Big time. The beginning and the end were super awesome-action-filled and then the middle was just slow, imo. Even with all those things I still think the creativeness of the story and the unique world were very impressive. I’d read the next book. I’m not a sci-fi nut, but if you are I DEF recommend it.

This book made me realize a few things. It made me realize that I haven’t read much sci-fi beyond Ray Bradbury (I don’t have much to compare/contrast this book to). Perhaps because I am not well-read in sci-fi I didn’t really appreciate the ins and outs of the story. I don’t know. But I’m glad I didn’t give up in the middle. The ending was good, and a bit of a cliffhanger! I think since this a prequel a lot of stuff had to be fleshed out, so I'm actually looking forward to the next book as I think I'll really enjoy it. Can't wait to see what happens with Lowen!