DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

The Sea of Tranquility

The Sea of Tranquility - Katja Millay Thank you to Atria Books for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I generally don't read too many contemporary fiction novels. Especially emotional ones; because they usually just aren't my thang. I heard some good (okay, great) things about this book but I still was a little wary because I know it takes a lot to impress me in this genre that I don't often read. So when I got this book I told myself I'd read the first chapter and probably wouldn't finish it if it wasn't my thing. I wanted to give it a chance though.

So about one chapter in I was intrigued. I liked the narrator, she was plucky, and REAL. It also didn't feel like "ugh this is a genre I don't usually read/this is painful to read/why is this so slow?" My brain was silent as I lapped up the book and stayed up all night reading it. I'm kinda glad I had a terrible case of insomnia that night, because it allowed me to spend several hours straight reading this story! It was really fun.

As we're learning about Nastya and her life as it is now, we start to wonder what could've happened to her to make her stop speaking all together. Her grief is real, and then so is the outcast boy-- Josh Bennett. We get to know about why Josh has a "forcefield" around him in high school, where people tread extremely lightly. And Nastya is drawn to his garage where her presence unnerves him at first. Their relationship blooms and you really feel how much they need each other. Which, of course, makes it extremely volatile and hurtful. Their love story really clicks. I get why they're together, and why they need each other. They want to save themselves, and each other. Will they be able to? More importantly, will Nastya be able to save herself?

Sea of Tranquility is honest, emotional, endearing, and the ending goes full circle and will bring tears to your eyes. The prose is beautifully written, and the characters are refreshingly real. Nastya's journey is a winding one, but you'll grow so attached to her and want her to fight for herself. I recommend this book to lovers of a good character-based story, lovers of contemporaries (and non-contemporary lovers-- like me!), and love stories with real-life issues.