DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Unearthly

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand So I've always been a bit leery about angel books. I'm worried the author will just remove vampires or werewolves and insert angels in the plot. Bleh. I have read a really good adult angel series, [b:Angel Time|6282915|Angel Time (The Songs of the Seraphim, #1)|Anne Rice|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320551003s/6282915.jpg|6466906] by Anne Rice and really enjoyed it so I knew it could be done. Then I saw a read a long with my fellow book blogger pals and was like, OK I'm in! So that's how I (finally) got myself to read Unearthly.

It didn't take long for me to be completely absorbed in the plot. Like by chapter 1 I was totally into it; and this happens pretty rarely for me. Clara is a charming girl with blonde hair who excels at everything. It's not her fault though, she's an angel-blood. Quartarius, meaning 1/4 angel (mom is Dimindius 1/2 angel). She's got wings and everything! Soon her and her brother Jeffrey are carted off to Wyoming to fulfill Clara's purpose. (It involves a dream with a cute guy and a fire).

Clara soon realizes her new school will be very interesting and there are two cute boys in the picture. Christian is literally the dream guy and Tucker the tan cutie who annoys the crap outta Clara. I don't really want to give much of the story away so I won't say much more except I loved the characters a lot. I could visualize everything in the book, due to Cynthia Hand's awesome writing. I'm a fan for life now.

The friendships are genuine and the setting is realistic and cool (who knew Wyoming was so perfect?) the boys are swoon worthy and Tucker is my newest literary boyfriend. There's plenty of mystery even up to the end and I can't wait to read the next book!

I recommend this book for lovers of paranormal YA stories with excellent characters.