DiamondReads

The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

The Winter Sea

The Winter Sea - Susanna Kearsley
The Winter Sea was a beautiful novel. It's centered on a writer and her journey through time as she uncovers her ancestor, Sophie's journey at Slains castle during the Jacobite ordeal of '08.

Although I like historical fiction, I'm not a "history buff." Often I'm incredibly intimidated by history-- because I know so little of it. It's not that I knew little of what the hell the Jacobite ordeal of 08 was, I knew NOTHING of it before I read this book. Now, I know a little. Thing is, at times I felt completely overwhelmed and stupid while reading this book. The history sort of overwhelmed the plot at times, and I felt like I wanted to skip over the confusing names and dates that were piled together like a textbook. I like learning about history-- it can be interesting. But, for me, it can also be overwhelming. I guess that's why it's so difficult to write historical fiction without seeming like a book full of useless details. I found myself eagerly skimming until I could read the chapters set in the present time. The details of Sophie's chapters were just too much. It was like a scale where the balance was tipped and I just wanted it to be steady.

But I can't tell you how much I truly enjoyed the story as a whole. I loved the idea of "genetic memory"-- so fascinating! I also have a weakness for time travel romances that aren't romance romances, if you know what I mean. I liked Graham and Moray both and really enjoyed the romance aspect of the book.

All in all, it was an enjoyable story that broke my heart and then pieced it together again. If you're interested in this period in history, or don't mind some heavy history in small doses-- you'll love this book. I'll be reading more of Kearsley in the future.