DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Water

Water - Natasha Hardy Note: this review is based on the first 30% of the book. I DNF the rest. Due to the fact that it's an e-arc I thought I should explain a bit why I did not finish.

The part with Merrick. When this male character is introduced is immediately when I started to not feel the story, the dynamic changed. the interaction between the MC and Merrick was simply not natural or organic. it Just didnt feel real.

Also, I became way too confused with what universe the book is in. What reality? There are References to states and familiar things, but also very unfamiliar things (apartheid in America, slave traders in remote mountain areas, etc). Is this the future? No other indication of the time period except cell phones and television. So it feels like modern day-- but then doesn't. I think Water is having a big identity crisis.

Perhaps because I'm in a bit of a depressed mood. I need a book to completely take me away with the story. I need that brain vacation. Trouble is, if there are confusing parts about something as basic as the setting or the world-- we have problems.

Sorry, Water...you started off so promising. I just couldn't get past your lack of world-building and clarity, and ultimately believability between the characters.