DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Poison Princess

Poison Princess - Kresley Cole WOW.

This was SO good. I wasn't expecting a post-apocalyptic novel; I just thought it was another paranormal romance. Boy, was I wrong. It's crazy different and unique, reminding me of NO book before...with it's dystopian feel..some high school drama and then Evie's crazy powers. She reminded me of Uma Thurman in that batman movie..with all the plant powers. So cool. And the imagery at the end and throughout her visions? Stunning!

I like that Evie's 18 and Jack is a bit older. It made it more realistic when he was all sexually strung up. Haha. And, the romance was really good. Jack is hawt. Great Cajun French accent, and the French was impeccably placed. I know that's difficult to achieve in a novel without isolating the reader or constantly translating. It was perfect and I could almost here his voice murmuring French as I was reading...sigh.

Honestly, the only reason this is 4 instead of 5 stars is because of the way Evie handled her "insanity" in the first 1/3 of the novel. Se never even believed for a serious moment that she was actually experiencing some real shit. Even when she wakes up with blood covered legs, or can see plants bending opposite the wind, or people tell her she smells like roses or honeysuckle but she's not wearing perfume. Etc..etc. she believes everyone but herself. I just found it hard to believe. I couldn't accept it as merely a character flaw. I'm sorry, but I'm familiar with mental illness and I know for a fact of that happened the person would be convinced they were real...or at least consider it seriously and try to remember the details! Gah. Anyways, that was my only qualm with this book and luckily it didn't last too long after (wont say why).

I can't recommend this book highly enough! And, I cannot wait for the sequel! I already have it preordered...I'm glad I didn't read this sooner or I'd be agonizing longer. I can't wait to see what happens with Evie and Jackson.