DiamondReads

The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Persephone the Daring

Persephone the Daring - Joan Holub, Suzanne Williams
I picked up this book while glancing at the middle grade books in Barnes & Noble. I had seen a lot about the Goddess Girls series around the book blogosphere. I was always intrigued by the premise: the Greek Gods and Goddesses when they were young. They all attend Mount Olympus Academy together.

The "Goddess Girls" are a group of friends that consist of the famous goddesses from Greek Mythology. This book is about Persephone. You probably know her as the daughter of Demeter and wife of Hades who spends her time in the underworld and on earth with her mother. Well she's just a kid in these books. Although her boyfriend is Hades. I really enjoyed how the fiction was weaved with myth because even though kids will not know that much of this is based on myth; I knew and was pleased that many relationships were kept in tact/twisted in a most amusing way!

This story is basically about a school magazine (aka ScrollZine) that took a poll ranking Persephone as "Most Dependable" in MOA (Mt. Olympus Academy). The same poll named Aphrodite as best hair and Hades as most fascinating. Persephone was terribly upset as being labelled most dependable. Dependable was so boring! Of course the lesson of the story was that there is a lot of worth in dependability; especially in a friend.

I really can't recommend this book enough. I'm going to pass my copy on to my niece, as I really think she'll enjoy it. I had fun reading it and will be picking up more of these books! I especially like that this one was a bit longer than a few of the others I saw. I can't wait to learn more about the other characters that attend Mt. Olympus Academy.