DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

A World Without Princes

A World Without Princes - Soman Chainani I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I was a little scared to pick this up. I mean, it's a sequel, and I have a big fear of sequels. Usually, if I really love the first book in the series I am either disappointed by the sequel; even if I enjoy the sequel it usually isn't as good as the first book. So that's my fear of sequels, which is why it took me so long to pick this one up. But once I faced my fear and read it, well...I'm glad I did. Not that it was better than the first book (it wasn't) but it wasn't awful either.

A World Without Princes starts soon after the first book ended. We find Sophie and Agatha back in their village. Only, Agatha really isn't as happy as she thought she'd be. At Sophie's fathers wedding, Agatha inadvertently wishes for a different ending to her story. This brings them back to the once called School for Good & Evil, now known as The school for Girls. You see, Agatha and Sophie proved that girls don't need princes at all. Girls can work with witches to get their own happy ending! Sounds great, huh? Thing is, it's not so great. The plan for the girls is to make the boys (now housed on Evil / Nevers side) slaves. So the trials will determine if the schools go back to their original form or if boys become slaves for the Girls.

This novel had many of the same elements as the first. The plot centered a lot on friendships, and the misunderstandings that so often occur, but that can cause a lot of harm. Sophie is still her Evil self, but she tries to be good. I got a little annoyed by how much Agatha had to do for Sophie, and even at the end I didn't feel like Sophoe understood what she did wrong. It just started to annoy me that Sophie could do all these things to Agatha, but Agatha couldn't do half of those things, even when doing those things are what made Agatha happy.

I was very surprised by the ending. I definitely feel that still we haven't seen the girls "happily ever after" and we have yet to see it. It was good to get to know Tedros better, and I hope we have more of him in the next book. Overall. I liked the story (although not quite as much as the first) and will continue with the story in the next book.