DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

The Misadventures of the Magician's Dog

The Misadventures of the Magician's Dog - Frances Sackett The Misadventures of the Magicians Dog is a fun adventure with magic, a talking dog, and three siblings. Although it is a classically fun middle grade story-- there are some bits that are very unique and made this book have a little more to offer than others.

Peter Lubinsky is a pretty average looking kid. But when a talking dog looks in a Crystal ball and finds him to be the answer to his problems-- soon things begin to change in Peter's life. Peter requests a dog for his birthday. Thing is, he doesn't know why he asked for a dog, he doesn't particularly even like dogs! Then, at the pet shop, Peter chooses "The Dog" and
goes home to find he can talk!

This is the first part of the story. As we are getting to know the characters, I couldn't help but be a little bored. I became impatient and wanted the adventure to begin sooner. I know kids will be reading this...who notoriously have lower attention spans than adults, so I'm afraid a kid may not stay interested enough to get to the adventure. That was the main problem I had with this story.

The best thing about this story; and what sets it apart from others in the genre, is the parental situation. Peter's parents are married but his dad is in the US Air Force. He's currently deployed in Iraq and Peter and his family deal with the loneliness and sadness that ensues with his constant absence. Peter feels anger that his father is gone all the time. But, ultimately, he learns that being in the Air Force is something his father loves. It's a part of him, and Peter begins to understand and respect that.

Peter and his sisters try to save an evil magician, and go through a big adventure in the process. Can the evil magician be turned good again? Will Peter lose himself due to practicing magic?

This was a super fun story. It was unique and I really liked that. If only the pacing was a little better, it would've been perfect. I look forward to reading more from this author!

Note: a copy of this book was provided to me by the author as part of the blog tour in exchange for an honest review.