DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Released

Released - Mia Fox A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher Indie Inked, on exchange for an honest review.

My biggest problem with this book was the beginning. It was really slow and just didn't captivate me. I had to force myself to read it, and almost DNF multiple times. The only reason I didn't was because a friend told me it got better and because the last 3 or 4 e-arcs have been DNF and I felt guilty.

The main character, Suzette (Suki) is a genie about to be released from her bottle by a pair of seemingly ordinary teenage girls. Thing is, Suki's personality is completely shallow. She cares too much about clothes, and doesn't seem to be mature like someone who has lived several hundred years. I would've appreciated Suki to be more likable; she was nice but she was the MC so she should've had a more friendly tone.

The amount of time it took her to love and be completely trusted by the girls seemed too quick, and not genuine. I did like Charlotte and Samantha's personalities, but I wish we could've found out more reasons why they were so special and talented.

With all the information and back stories of Raven (the bad, but not totally bad antagonist)-- it's like ok, we get it, she's not 100% evil. She's a villian with depth. *rolls eyes*

James and even Phineas were definite cuties and crush worthy. There were some steamy scenes which were cool.
Also surprising was the genie legend and time travel element. I had no idea this book had a little dabbling of time travel (Victorian England) and I really enjoyed that part. I feel there will be more travel through time in the sequel.

The ending...or should I say, "Segway to sequel." The ending didn't feel finalized. It felt like a chapter break. I would have liked a cleaner ending. Will I read the sequel? Maybe. I won't go out of my way, but I feel the sequel has potential to be great.