DiamondReads

Erica O'Rourke
The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

Isabella: Braveheart of France

Isabella: Braveheart of France - Colin Falconer A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher as part of the blog tour.

Isabella: Braveheart of France is the story of Queen Isabella and her husband Richard II. I had thought I knew everything I needed to know about there ugh of Richard II after reading Shakespeare's play and studying it in college. Turns out there's quite a bit that isn't covered in the scope of Shakespeare's historical play, and much of it is very interesting.

Isabella is the daughter of France and very obedient to her father and then her husband, Edward. Thing is, Edward is...gay? Although he's married to her he's in love with another man. It tears their marriage apart and muddles the politics of England like nothing else. It's so interesting to think about this sort of thing and how it was dealt with back then. I wonder though, how many people actually think Richard II had male lovers that made him lose his throne? Or that he never really was killed and instead made a daring escape? I admit I'm curious enough to google it after reading this book.

I found this book had achieved the delicate balance between historical accuracy and interesting plot. I know this is a. Difficult balance to achieve in historical fiction; and oftentimes I become bored or overwhelmed with facts when reading and it's hard to remain engaged. That wasn't so with this novel. I found it'd as I hating and really wanted to know what happened. I admire Queen Isabella a lot; what a strong woman she was!

I recommend this book to those who like historical fiction and strong female leaders. It's a great story that fans of Philippa Gregory will certainly adore.