DiamondReads

The Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers
Henry James, Anthony Curtis

The Taking

The Taking - Kimberly Derting Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Taking is part of a genre I don't read quite so often: sci-fi. Sometimes I forget how cool sci-fi can be, with the aliens and secret agencies and other planets. Although it was refreshing to see a new young adult sci fi book, I had some problems with the story and the main character, Kyra.

Kyra is a 16 year old softball pitcher who has a best friend, boyfriend, and just won the big game. She's driving home with her dad, arguing about going off to college with her boyfriend Austin, when it happens. A blinding flash of light, and then....nothing. She's Taken. What feels like seconds later, she wakes up by the dumpster behind a gas station. In reality 5 years have passed. Her parents are now divorced, she has a new baby brother and stepdad. Oh, and most importantly (*rolls eyes*) her boyfriend is dating her best friend Cat and they're off at college, both 21 and living the life she had planned.

Luckily, her boyfriend had a younger brother. And since Kyra didn't age 5 years, she's still a 16 year old girl. My problem is, I didn't much like Kyra. She is obsessed with Austin, and then Tyler. After all this remarkable stuff happens to her she just whines and whines and then gets lost in Tylers gorgeousness. Please....if it was me I'd be researching wtf happend to me and what is going on! But that's just it, one of the reasons I didn't click with this book was the inability to truly sympathize with the main character, Kyra. I was off put by her immaturity. She is a whiny, selfish brat.

However, the plot after about 50% in focused more on aliens and conspiracy and less a bout a budding romance - that's when I started to enjoy it. I don't understand why young adult books feel the need to push to the center a romance. Why can't the romance take a backseat? Especially when there are so many crazy things happening in the plot. I'm not sure if I'll be reading the sequel to the story or not. Although Kyra was less annoying at the very end, I'm not sure I can fully get the bad taste out of my mouth that her character left me with.